Sunday, December 12, 2004

I went hiking yesterday

I went hiking yesterday, Fimmvorduhals see maps below. I went with 6 other guys 5 of them are among my co workers at skyrr and my brother was the sixth one. Five of those guys are going with me to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa next year so this was some kind of a exercise for that trip. There was snow most of the time so it was a little bit hard work walking those twenty something kilometres and there for really good exercise for the Africa trip.

We had to start early and I woke up 5 am and was out of town at 6 am. Began walking around 8 am and that is before dawn here in Iceland in December. The weather was really beautiful. The sky was close to clear and almost no wind. I'm not sure about the temperature but it was some degrees below zero.
Walking in the snow
So we began the walk under a clear star sky but with no moonlight since the moon is its 4 weeks periodically holyday those days. It became colder in higher altitudes and soon it felt really cold. The landscape was incredibly beautiful in the beginning of dawn. First it was blue and changed into yellow and later real daylight. But there was a real daylight just for an hour or so since the days don't last for a long time this part of year.
Mountaineers
We had hard time walking through deep snow but it was worth it. Down in Basar in Thorsmor one of our friends from work were waiting for us and drove us back to civilization when we finally came there around 6 o'clock in the afternoon. It was total darkness then again and the stars were shining but we were to tired to notice.

I only had a film camera with me so I don't have any photos yet. But I think I will have some of them scanned.

The hiking rout is the dashed line from "Skogar" to "Basar" on the map and it is located in the south part of Iceland.


I hope this guy are not upset since I used his map.

Photos from the tour are here
(Photos by IndriĆ°i)

And see also my fotolog


...

No comments: