Thursday, February 20, 2003

The funniest thing on the internet

I was told recently about a translation program on the internet. A translation program that works with the Icelandic language. And since I know my English is not the best in the world and not many people understand Icelandic I thought of this translation program as a great thing. But unfortunately it became only the funniest thing I have ever found on the Internet or elsewhere.

Giving you an example, the program doesn’t discriminate between names and other nouns so it always tries to translate my name. If my name appear in English text it is “translated” to Icelandic and back to English again and I can of course if it appear in Icelandic text it is automatically translated to English. And also since I have various nick names I can now bear a lot of names in English. As an example:

Raggi (from English to Ielandic: Tattered
Einar Ragnar: Uncompromising Ragnar
Raggi (from icelandic to english:Sissy
. . . . .



You can read more stories of this translation crap on Kristiv’s page.

I also asked my sister if she knew anything about this page but she was working in some translations computer program at the University of Iceland last summer. She beg me, never mention her name and this translation program at the same time again. She was rather shocked to she someone put a crap like this online and made clear she have nothing to do with the program. She moreover sent them a letter of reproach, in Icelandic of course. They can just translate the letter to the language they wish she said, good luck!

Some more funny things about the page:


My mother's name is Hrefna and that is also a name of a small whale. So Hrefna translated to English is: Minke whale, lesser rorqual. And of I translate that again to Icelandic and back to English, I get: mink whale , memory rorqual

The idiots that made the program call them self The translation experts!!!

Some times you cant reach the page since: “Too many translation requests by millions of users. Please click here or try again later.” Sure, everybody is translating some books or something!

And finally one good thing about that page. I have finally found someone with less English language skill than I am!

One of Kristiv's English speaking blog readers wanted to read Lilja's Gnarr blog (her blog is really funny some times). But after he became wery dissapointed I think. I don't think he could even understand what on erath she was writing about.


No comments: